top of page

Refugee Sur Place

It is possible for you to have an asylum claim from situations that happened after you left your country. You may become a refugee sur place because of situations from your country during your absence, or you take actions while outside of your country that subject you to persecution. USCIS considers changes in your country as well as your activities outside of your country when considering if you are a refugee sur place. The immigration official or judge will consider the following factors when determining if you are a refugee sur place:

  • Whether you were well-known or otherwise known to the persecutor in your country before your departure;

  • Whether you hold a particular visible position outside your country;

  • The visibility level of your activities outside your country;

  • The extent of your persecutor’s network and/or systems of monitoring your activities outside of your country; and

Your persecutor’s opinion of those who have resided in other countries.


No Attorney-Client Relationship Created by Use of this Website: Neither your receipt of information from this website, nor your use of this website to contact Santamaria Law Firm, PC or one of its lawyers creates an attorney-client relationship between you and the Firm.

No Legal Advice is Intended: This website includes general information about legal issues and developments in the law. Such materials are for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal developments.




+ 1 (415) 745 - 3650

100 Pine Street, Suite 1250

San Francisco, CA 94111, USA

Member Logo_2019.jpg

Non Immigrant Visa

H-1B Visa

L-1 Visa

E Visa

R-1 Visa

​O-1 Visa

​P Visa

​B1/B2 Visa

Employment Based Immigrant Visa

EB-1: Priority Workers

EB-2: Advanced Degree or NIW

EB-3: Skilled/Unskilled Workers

EB-4: Religious Workers & Special Immigrants

EB-5: Investor Visa

Deportation/Removal Proceedings

Immigration Court Defense

Waivers of Unlawful Presence Bar

Motion to Reopen/Reconsider

Family Petition

Fiancée Visa

Marriage Visas

​Adjustment of Status through Marriage

Petition for Family Members

Petition for Adopted Child


Asylum & Refugee

​Temporary Protected Status


U Visa

T Visa

​And Others

Santamaria Law Firm
bottom of page