Religious worker


I. what is religious worker visa?

It is a nonimmigrant visa for a foreign national who is coming to the U.S. temporarily and is employed at least part-time (average of 20 hours a week) by a non-profit religious organization in the U.S (or organization is affiliated with religious denomination) to work as a minister or religious occupation.

II. Am I eligible to Apply for an R-1 Visa for Religious Worker?

You are eligible to apply if:

  • You are a member of an actual religious organization located in the U.S;

  • Religious organization is exempted from taxation or qualifies for tax-exempt status;

  • You have been a member for 2 years before your visa application;

  • You are entering the U.S. only as a religious worker or by request of the religious organization;

  • You have lived and physically present outside U.S. for the immediate prior year if you have spent 5 years in R-1 Visa classification;

  • At the end of lawful status, you intend on departing (no requirement to state residence abroad that you have no intention of abandoning)



No Attorney-Client Relationship Created by Use of this Website:  Neither your receipt of information from this website, nor your use of this website to contact Santamaria Law Firm, PC or one of its lawyers creates an attorney-client relationship between you and the Firm.


No Legal Advice is Intended: This website includes general information about legal issues and developments in the law. Such materials are for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal developments.


+ 1 (415) 745 - 3650

Our brand for entrepreneurs, 

​executives & investors

100 Pine Street, Suite 1250

San Francisco, CA 94111, USA

Non Immigrant Visa

H-1B Visa

L-1 Visa

E Visa

R-1 Visa

​O-1 Visa

​P Visa

​B1/B2 Visa

Employment Based Immigrant Visa

EB-1: Priority Workers

EB-2: Advanced Degree or NIW

EB-3: Skilled/Unskilled Workers

EB-4: Religious Workers & Special Immigrants

EB-5: Investor Visa

Deportation/Removal Proceedings

Immigration Court Defense

Waivers of Unlawful Presence Bar

Motion to Reopen/Reconsider

Family Petition

Fiancée Visa

Marriage Visas

​Adjustment of Status through Marriage

Petition for Family Members

Petition for Adopted Child


Asylum & Refugee

​Temporary Protected Status


U Visa

T Visa

​And Others

Santamaria Law Firm