top of page

Economic Harm

In order to have an asylum claim you’ll need to have suffered persecution. It is possible for economic harm to amount to persecution for your asylum case. However, you’ll need to prove that you suffered severe economic disadvantage from your persecutor in the form of deprivation of liberty, food, housing, employment, or other essentials of life. Your economic harm suffered should be “above and beyond [economic harm] generally shared by others in the country of origin and involves more than the mere loss of social advantages or physical comforts.” The immigration officer or judge will consider the following factors to determine if you suffered economic harm:

  • Your and your family’s earnings;

  • Your sources of income or housing available to you if you lose your job or housing;

  • If you are able to find other employment or education;

  • If your economic disadvantage you suffered (or would suffer) is different from other people in your country (and how they differ); and

  • Your specific economic losses, for example, health benefits, food rations, etc.

You can consider comparing your financial situation to that of people in your neighborhood to prove your economic disadvantage because of your persecutors. One example of economic disadvantage is from Himri v. Ashcroft where the asylum applicant was not permitted to work, attend school, and even get drinking water, and this was all government-sponsored. The Court found that the this government-sponsored activity led to economic disadvantage.


No Attorney-Client Relationship Created by Use of this Website: Neither your receipt of information from this website, nor your use of this website to contact Santamaria Law Firm, PC or one of its lawyers creates an attorney-client relationship between you and the Firm.

No Legal Advice is Intended: This website includes general information about legal issues and developments in the law. Such materials are for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal developments.

58 views0 comments



+ 1 (415) 745 - 3650

100 Pine Street, Suite 1250

San Francisco, CA 94111, USA

Member Logo_2019.jpg

Non Immigrant Visa

H-1B Visa

L-1 Visa

E Visa

R-1 Visa

​O-1 Visa

​P Visa

​B1/B2 Visa

Employment Based Immigrant Visa

EB-1: Priority Workers

EB-2: Advanced Degree or NIW

EB-3: Skilled/Unskilled Workers

EB-4: Religious Workers & Special Immigrants

EB-5: Investor Visa

Deportation/Removal Proceedings

Immigration Court Defense

Waivers of Unlawful Presence Bar

Motion to Reopen/Reconsider

Family Petition

Fiancée Visa

Marriage Visas

​Adjustment of Status through Marriage

Petition for Family Members

Petition for Adopted Child


Asylum & Refugee

​Temporary Protected Status


U Visa

T Visa

​And Others

Santamaria Law Firm
bottom of page