top of page

VAWA: Benefits & Process Overview

Under VAWA, if you are an abused spouse of a US citizen or resident then you may be eligible for some benefits. Such benefits include the abused spouse’s ability to “self-petition,” which means that the abused spouse can apply for VAWA by herself without relying on her husband to go through the legal process. The abused spouse will also be eligible for work authorization, some public benefits, and lawful permanent residence. The abused spouse may not have to leave the country and be protected from deportation as the VAWA petition is pending. To be eligible for these VAWA benefits, the abused spouse must go through the following process, which is just an overview.

1. You must file your Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant at the Vermont Service Center (VSC) along with supporting documentation that proves how you meet the self-petitioning requirements.

2. USCIS will review your VAWA application and send you a “Notice of Prima Facie Eligibility” within several months if it is approvable on its face. You can use this notice as evidence to obtain government aid like Medicare, Title IV Federal Student Financial Aid, and Section 8 Moderate Rehabilitation Single Room Occupancy (“SRO”).

3. If USCIS approves your petition, USCIS will send you an “Approval Notice” and a “Notice of Deferred Action” (if you requested it). “Deferred Action” means that you came here illegally, but USCIS will not likely deport you because of your pending VAWA petition. You will then be able to apply for work authorization with either notices.

4. You will then be able to “adjust status,” which is the process that you use to apply to become a permanent resident (also known as a green card holder) while in the US. You can adjust your status when your immigrant visa becomes available, which may be quite soon if you are the spouse of a US citizen, but may take several years for spouses of permanent residents.


No Attorney-Client Relationship Created by Use of this Website: Neither your receipt of information from this website, nor your use of this website to contact Santamaria Law Firm, PC or one of its lawyers creates an attorney-client relationship between you and the Firm.

No Legal Advice is Intended: This website includes general information about legal issues and developments in the law. Such materials are for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal developments.

772 views0 comments

+ 1 (415) 745 - 3650

100 Pine Street, Suite 1250

San Francisco, CA 94111, USA

Member Logo_2019.jpg

Non Immigrant Visa

H-1B Visa

L-1 Visa

E Visa

R-1 Visa

​O-1 Visa

​P Visa

​B1/B2 Visa

Employment Based Immigrant Visa

EB-1: Priority Workers

EB-2: Advanced Degree or NIW

EB-3: Skilled/Unskilled Workers

EB-4: Religious Workers & Special Immigrants

EB-5: Investor Visa

Deportation/Removal Proceedings

Immigration Court Defense

Waivers of Unlawful Presence Bar

Motion to Reopen/Reconsider

Family Petition

Fiancée Visa

Marriage Visas

​Adjustment of Status through Marriage

Petition for Family Members

Petition for Adopted Child


Asylum & Refugee

​Temporary Protected Status


U Visa

T Visa

​And Others

Santamaria Law Firm
bottom of page