top of page

The Fiancé(e) Petition

If you are a US citizen (but not a permanent resident) you can petition your fiancé(e) to enter the US to marry you. This is not an immediate relative visa petition, but rather it is a “non-immigrant” visa petition that permits your fiancé(e) to enter the US to get married within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s arrival.

Some of the requirements include:

  • You must show that you have met your fiancé(e) at least once in person within the past two years;

  • You intend to marry;

  • You are both legally able to marry;

  • You must file a K-1 Visa petition, Form I-129F at the appropriate Service Center;

  • You get married within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s arrival to the US; and

  • You must submit supporting documentation proving your real relationship.

Your fiancé(e)’s unmarried children under 21 years of age can be included in the petition and enter the US with your fiancé(e) as K-2 Visa holders. If you do not get married within 90 days, your fiancé(e) will be required to leave the US (and possibly be placed in removal proceedings). But if you do get married within the 90 days, your spouse must apply for “adjustment of status” to permanent residence. USCIS will grant your spouse conditional residence status for two years. Before the end of the two years, you can apply to remove your spouse’s conditional status.


No Attorney-Client Relationship Created by Use of this Website: Neither your receipt of information from this website, nor your use of this website to contact Santamaria Law Firm, PC or one of its lawyers creates an attorney-client relationship between you and the Firm.

No Legal Advice is Intended: This website includes general information about legal issues and developments in the law. Such materials are for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal developments.

54 views0 comments



+ 1 (415) 745 - 3650

100 Pine Street, Suite 1250

San Francisco, CA 94111, USA

Member Logo_2019.jpg

Non Immigrant Visa

H-1B Visa

L-1 Visa

E Visa

R-1 Visa

​O-1 Visa

​P Visa

​B1/B2 Visa

Employment Based Immigrant Visa

EB-1: Priority Workers

EB-2: Advanced Degree or NIW

EB-3: Skilled/Unskilled Workers

EB-4: Religious Workers & Special Immigrants

EB-5: Investor Visa

Deportation/Removal Proceedings

Immigration Court Defense

Waivers of Unlawful Presence Bar

Motion to Reopen/Reconsider

Family Petition

Fiancée Visa

Marriage Visas

​Adjustment of Status through Marriage

Petition for Family Members

Petition for Adopted Child


Asylum & Refugee

​Temporary Protected Status


U Visa

T Visa

​And Others

Santamaria Law Firm
bottom of page